Chip debit card
A safe and secure way to make your everyday purchases.
The chip debit card enables you to make payments more securely and conveniently.
- Your chip debit card is embedded with a microchip that provides increased protection against debit card skimming and counterfeiting.
- Chip debit cards encrypt all information stored on them, increasing your safety when completing a transaction.
- When you perform a transaction, your chip debit card never leaves your sight.
- Enjoy increased convenience when travelling. Your chip debit card has THE EXCHANGE® Network, Interac®, Cirrus® and Maestro® applications, which means you can withdraw money and perform direct payment purchases around the world.
1. What is a chip card? Expand/Collapse
2. Where can I change my chip debit card PIN? Expand/Collapse
You can change your PIN at Canadian Western Bank or The EXCHANGE® Network ATMs that are equipped to change debit card PINs.
3. How can I protect the security of my PIN? Expand/Collapse
Your PIN is a key security feature on your chip debit card and acts like your signature, helping to identify you as the authorized user of the card. It is important to keep your PIN confidential and protect it at all times. Here are some ways you can protect your PIN:
- Memorize your PIN - it's your electronic signature. If you suspect that someone knows your PIN, contact us to cancel your debit card, and obtain a new debit card and PIN.
- Your debit card and PIN are the keys to your bank account. Never disclose your PIN to anyone. If you do and there are unauthorized transactions, you could be liable for any financial losses. A financial institution, the police or any retailer or merchant will never ask for your PIN. You are the only person who should know it.
- When selecting your PIN, never use obvious information. You could be liable for losses if you create your PIN using your telephone number, date of birth, address, Social Insurance Number (SIN), etc.
- Use your hand, body or any item (e.g. wallet or envelope) as a shield when entering your PIN when you are conducting transactions at an ATM or at a retailer or merchant.
- Never let your debit card out of your sight when conducting a transaction at a retailer or merchant. Only allow your debit card to be swiped once and always remember to take your debit card and debit transaction receipt with you once your transaction is complete.
- Regularly check your statements and balances to verify all debit transactions have been properly documented. If entries do not accurately reflect the purchases and recent activity of your debit card i.e., there are missing or additional debit transactions, contact us immediately.
- If you suspect anything unusual when using an ATM or retailer terminal, don’t use the machine and report it immediately to us.
- Remember to take your debit card with you when you complete your transaction.
- If someone is watching you or you feel uncomfortable with a transaction, cancel the transaction and use a different machine.
4. Will I be able to use my chip debit card outside Canada? Expand/Collapse
Yes. Your chip debit card will work in countries that already utilize chip technology. In addition, you will still be able to use your chip debit card in countries that have not yet implemented chip technology because your card has both a chip and magnetic stripe, facilitating both types of transactions.
If you are travelling outside of Canada, we strongly recommend carrying more than one payment method (e.g. credit card, debit card, travellers cheques, local currency) in the unlikely event you experience service disruptions.